I don’t know about ya’ll but I’m not a huge fan of coconut, however my little brother (he really is not that little he is 16!!) loves it! My brother rock climbs and he is a bit of a health nut. While I’m home I try to make meals that he will eat ( he is health concious but extremely picky). Tonight I made him coconut crusted chicken very easy and healthy. Except I thought it would be healthier if I didn’t fry the chicken at all…well it came out of the oven and I realized I need to fry this coconut on! So I did, I’m dyslexic so it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.
I found the original recipe on my best friend – Pinterest, however like usual I’ve edited and cut it down for a person of one! I cut this recipe in half and only used one giant chicken breast and cut it into tenders
- 1-2 chicken breasts or precut tenders
- 1 egg
- splash of milk
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 up to a cup (depending on how much you want) of unsweetened shredded coconut
- olive oil for pan
- Preheat oven to 350 (will bake chicken for 20-30mins depending on breast size)
- beat egg and milk together in shallow dish
- mix together dry ingredients
- put the chicken in the egg mix than in the dry mix
- meanwhile line a baking sheet with tin foil and (I placed a wire rack in it but you don’t have to, I like to think it makes the chicken crispier on all sides)
- Cook chicken in oven
- Take out and brown chicken in an oiled pan and serve!
For the sauce I mixed together plain greek yogurt, yellow mustard, and honey (the yogurt added a bitter taste but I thought it was really good. (however college budget wise just buy or borrow some honey mustard from the store or the dining hall). Disclaimer the sauce according to my brother didn’t really go with the chicken but i thought it was good!